Friday, November 18, 2011

Thanksgiving

   I could've worried and made myself sick but I prayed and trusted.  Even when one person deceived me about when I would get a check (got it 2 weeks later) and another check hasn't showed up on time, I received another surprise.  Now, I'm meeting my basic needs and I can put together a Thanksgiving basket for the poor.  It's easy.  Buy an aluminum pan for the turkey and put the following imperishable items in:
   A paid coupon to purchase a turkey, a large can of gravy, a can of cranberries, a box for making mashed potatoes, a loaf of bread or box of stuffing, a couple cans of milk or boxes of dried milk, a large can of pumpkin, a box for making the crust, and 2 cans of green vegetables.  I think I've remembered everything.
Now, wrap it securely in see-through colored cellophane with a pretty bow and card wishing it's recipient blessings from our loving Savior and a secret friend.  (or something like that).
   Our church distributes them in the poorest areas to as many as we are able to collect from our congregation and our congregation is generous in spite of their own struggles.   
   You could also work in a soup kitchen, visit a nursing home or take something to a person in need or out of work.  Recently, someone slipped a $20 in my pocket, another person is leaving her dog with me instead of a dog hotel...."It is better to give than receive and God sees our immediate needs when we remain close to him and love him with all our hearts and minds and strength.  I am so grateful to be receiving the part-time work that I need and still give to the poor, visit the sick, and contribute to my church.  It's not about what I don't have, it's the blessings  I have, the greatest blessing to come and the ability to share God's love.

No comments:

Post a Comment