Sunday, November 6, 2011


Workaholism

an exerpt from 
"The Artist's Way Every Day"
by 
Julia Cameron

(A Year of Creative Living)

November 5



   Workaholism is an addiction, and like all addictions, it blocks creative energy.  In fact, it could be argued that the desire to block the fierce flow of creative energy is an underlying reason for addiction.  If people are too busy to (write, paint, draw, compose- my interjections.  Julia talks about "Morning Pages" which is what I'm doing with my different journals including this blog.  She also talks about an "artist date" which you put on your calender to do a creative activitiy.)  She says, "if you can't do either of these then you are probably too busy to hear the voice of authentic creative urges.  Only recently recognized as an addiction, workaholism still receives a great deal of support in our society.  .............The truth is, we are very often working to avoid ourselves, our spouses, our real feelings.  In creative recovery, it is far easier to get people to do the extra work of the "Morning Pages" then it is to get them to do the assigned play of an "Artist Date."  Play can make a workaholic very nervous.  Fun is scary.
   Oh, by the way, when I blogged about not having my tithe but planning on giving it anyway and trusting God, I immediately got 2 gigs playing piano at the Fairmont Hotel in Georgetown.  God is good.  Since Sat. was Mr. Warren's funeral, I played a few tunes in his honor, like "Satin Doll" and thought about him a great deal.  How grateful I am that God put him in my life AND made this gig possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment