Thursday, October 27, 2011

"Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."  Matthew 5:10




   Jesus goes on to say in the next verse, "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me.  Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you."
   This is the hardest of the beatitudes for me.  Sometimes, others think I take my christianity too far but I've never been truly persecuted for it.  We live in a country where we, Christians,  enjoy freedom of religion but people of different religions are often badly treated.  In other countries, Christians continue to be persecuted, imprisoned, disowned by their families and even killed.  
   Would I deny Jesus in these situations?  My first and last reaction would be no but then I study Peter who swore he could never be capable of that and yet he did, 3 times.  I must test my faith and ponder my response and finally,  I can rejoice in what Jesus has revealed to me that enables me not just to exit but to truly live and rejoice in the power and joy of his resurrection.  Following Jesus has pulled me out of the pit of worldly sin and the casual sin that the world has come to accept.
   Would you still follow Jesus, if you were faced with torture, death, or family rejection?  Yes, I will but I hope I never have to face torture and death.  Many of us have already experienced family rejection because of our zeal and passion for following Jesus. But as I look at the world, I know that it is worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment